ID Card and Directory Photo Guidelines
As part of its online directory, Baylor University displays individual pictures consistent with the image on a student, faculty, or staff Baylor ID Card. The photographs are used for informational and security purposes only within the university and are not to be used outside of the directory. Individuals may manage the display of their ID photo and other information by following these instructions:
- Navigate to the Baylor online directory at www.baylor.edu/directory
- Enter your BearID and password and click Submit.
- Select the "Release Settings" option from the menu bar at the top of the page
- Use the information release settings descriptions to determine how to properly classify and display your photo and other information on Baylor's directory.
- Click the "Update Settings" button near the top left of the page to submit any changes.
- You will receive a message on a new page that says “You have successfully updated your information release settings”
1. Appropriate Usage:
ID card photos are taken and stored for the express purpose of usage with the physical ID card for verification of identification. Additionally, the photos are available in the University online directory which should be used when the convenience of access to the University ID card photo is desired. As a general practice, these photos should not be added to other software applications to augment the checking of University ID cards. Information Technology Services allows faculty, staff, and students to control the viewing of their ID card photo in the online directory by setting privacy flags. It is not appropriate usage to copy photos from the online directory and use them for any other purpose.
2. Requirements for Usage:
All requests for University ID card photo usage should be directed to the Chief Information Security Officer who will coordinate review by the appropriate parties. The primary systems to which access to the University ID photos will be provided are life safety/health systems, first responder systems, and systems essential to teaching and grading by instructors of record.
- Any secondary system approved to use ID photos must respect the privacy flags for usage in real time unless explicitly given an exception
- Such secondary systems should access the photos in real time rather than maintaining a local copy unless explicitly given an exception. Maintenance of local copies of the photos is a security/privacy risk and requires valuable computing resources to transfer the large picture files.
- If a local copy is required and approved, the load must respect the individuals’ privacy flags and be updated on an approved regular interval.
- The only exception to these requirements is for physical safety systems. These requests must be reviewed and approved by General Counsel’s office.
- If granted the exception, the system should display a warning not to copy the ID photo and/or inform users by training of the restriction.
- In addition, these exceptions allow for the full load of photos including those that might be privacy-restricted.
Based on the above, exceptions allowing additional uses of these University ID photos will be very limited.
3. Sanctions for Misuse:
Sanctions may include but are not limited to suspension of technology privileges, termination of employment, referral to Student Judicial Services, and/or criminal prosecution. For additional information, please reference Technology Systems Usage Policy BU-PP 025.
Related Polices and Legislation:
Technology Usage Policy BU-PP 025
Student Records Policy and FERPA
Directory Information Use BU-PP 026
See the following answers to common questions regarding photos and Baylor's online directory:
Who can see the photos?
All individuals currently listed in the online directory can see the photos when they log into the directory with their BearID and password. The photos will not be available for the general public.
Can the photos be downloaded?
Photos will not be included in any file downloads available through the online directory. ITS will take steps to disable the ability to easily right-click and copy the photos, but this is not a guarantee that it is impossible to copy the photos one at a time. If an individual is concerned about their photo privacy, they should set the photo to be private.
Can I provide my own picture to be used?
No. Only the official ID photos from Baylor ID Cards will be permitted.
What if I want to refresh the photo on my faculty/staff ID card?
For employees or students on Baylor's Waco campus, new photos may be made at the ID Office located in the Speight Parking Garage. Nursing students at the Dallas campus should contact the Student Services office.