Welcome New Students!
Baylor ITS is proud to join in the chorus of those welcoming you to Baylor! As a new Bear, there is much to learn about navigating the university as a student. Here are just a few technology pointers as you get started:
Your Bear ID
A Bear ID has already been created just for you! Your Bear ID is usually made up of your first and last name, a number, and an underscore or two (e.g., Betty_Baylor2). This Bear ID and password are the keys to your Baylor email account and nearly all campus electronic resources.
To activate your Bear ID and set your password, do the following:
- Visit this link to claim your Bear ID.
- Enter the authorization code you received in an email from Baylor.
- Next, choose four security questions, answers to those questions, and a password to secure your account. Carefully follow the directions regarding choosing an appropriate password, and enter your password twice. (NOTE: The password you choose will be case-sensitive.)
Your @baylor.edu Email Account
Using your email address (e.g., Bear ID@baylor.edu) and your Bear ID password, you can now access your official Baylor email account. Visit portal.office.com to access your email and familiarize yourself with the other Microsoft productivity resources available to you as a Baylor student (Pro-Tips Video).
Set up the Microsoft Outlook app on all of your devices and be sure to check your Baylor email account throughout the day. Messages from your professors, classmates, and campus offices will be sent to this official email address.
Look up your Baylor ID number
Your Baylor ID Number is a 9-digit number used for identification purposes. This number is printed on your Student ID card. If you are an online student or do not have a Baylor ID Card, you can click this link to view your Baylor ID Number
Additional "Day One" Resources
- AirBear Campus Wireless: Use your Bear ID and password to add your devices to the AirBear campus wireless network (AIRBEAR WPA2) when you arrive on campus in August. AirBear is available in all campus buildings (including residential facilities) and in many outdoor areas across the Baylor campus.
Learn More about AirBear | Pro Tips Video
- Duo Two-Factor Authentication: You are already familiar with Duo two-factor authentication, but be sure to download the free Duo Mobile app and enable push notifications for the fastest way to access many of Baylor's online resources. Protip: Add a second device to your Duo account just in case something happens to your phone.
Learn More about Duo Mobile Push | Pro Tips Video
- Canvas by Instructure: Canvas is the place where you will engage with your professors, colleagues, course assignments, and more. As the first day of classes approaches, get on Canvas with your Bear ID, password, and Duo two-factor authentication. Explore the courses that appear (some faculty do not publish their courses early) and see the resources your professors have made available to get ready for the first day of class!
Learn More about Canvas | Pro Tips Video
- Box: Use Box to collaborate with others on course projects and share all types of files. Box provides a cloud-based platform accessible on the web or through the Box app to interact with your files. Create your account using your Bear ID and password and learn how to use this powerful resource.
Learn More about Box | Pro Tips Video
- PawPrints Printing Network: As you walk the campus, you will see printers with a PawPrints logo. You can print from your device to any of these printers. Install the drivers to your device and the mobile app and you will be ready to go!
Learn More about PawPrints | Pro Tips Video
- Zoom: Baylor makes Zoom available to all students for video and team collaboration. Zoom can be used through the app or on the web to create, schedule or join small or large group meetings. Once you authenticate to Baylor's instance of Zoom, you are ready to leverage all of its rich features.
Learn More about Zoom | Pro Tips Video
Minimum Hardware Specifications
Baylor ITS has worked with our academic partners across the campus to compile these minimum system specifications for students coming to Baylor.
|Operating System:||Windows 10 64-bit or Apple MacOS 10.15
Note: Chromebooks are not capable of meeting the demand for Baylor's hybrid and online courses. A fully-capable Apple or Windows-based laptop system is essential.
|Processor:||Intel Core i5 or i7|
|Hard Drive:||500GB+ SSD|
|Screen Resolution:||1920 x 1080|
|Accessories:||Webcam and Microphone-equipped Headset|
|Warranty:||An extended warranty is recommended.|
|Please Note: Students selecting Apple laptops should be aware of some possible limitations. Certain areas of study in the Hankamer School of Business and the School of Engineering and Computer Science require students to use programs within a Windows environment. Students using an Apple laptop will need to either dual boot or run a virtual machine. Unless students in these schools already own an Apple laptop, it is strongly recommended that the student select a Windows-based laptop.|
Education-Priced Hardware from the Baylor Bookstore
The Baylor Bookstore sells and provides warranty support for Apple and Dell systems. The following offers are only available from the Baylor Bookstore and are good from now through July 2021.
Apple is offering an orientation special of and additional $150 off their educational pricing on new models of the MacBook Pro and iPad. In addition, you will receive a $100 service voucher for any labor at the Bookstore's Apple Authorized Service Center.
Dell is offering a $100 rebate on any Dell systems purchased that are $499 and above, along with a $100 service voucher for any labor at the Bookstore's Dell Authorized Service Center.
To take advantage of these offers, call (254) 710-6973 or email email@example.com. View this video to see additional products and services available through the Baylor Bookstore.
Visit HelpDesk+ on the garden level of Moody Memorial Library, call (254) 710-4357, email firstname.lastname@example.org,or visit baylor.edu/helpdesk for assistance with Baylor technology questions. Our expert support team will help you prepare to engage the technology resources available across the Baylor campus to support your success.